Selah Parks & Recreation Service Area
The Selah Park and Recreation Service Area (SPRSA) Board has submitted an M&O Levy resolution that will appear on the August 7, 2018 ballot. Here are some important details:
- This is a replacement levy. The SPRSA Board's current M&O Levy expires in 2018.
- The M&O Levy will pay for operational expenses at the new Selah Aquatic Center for 6 years (2019-2024); the maximum tax rate would be 19.4 cents per thousand dollars of assessed property valuation up to $305,000.00 annually.
- SPRSA voters approved a bond for up to $6.2 million to be spent on the construction of a new Selah Aquatic Center in November 2015.
- The replacement levy is necessary because bond funds can only be spent on construction related expenses. M&O Levy monies will be spent on operational costs. In other words, bonds are for building and levies are for lifeguards.
- The SPRSA Board and City of Selah staff have been working on the Aquatic Center's design over the past two years.
- Construction is scheduled to begin in Fall 2018 with the Aquatic Center ready for swimmers in Summer 2019 - if the M&O Levy passes.
- The SPRSA must lease the land at Wixson Park on which the Aquatic Center will be built. Before a lease can be negotiated, the SPRSA must have sufficient operational funding. Thus, the building of the Selah Aquatic Center is tied to support for the replacement M&O Levy.
SPRSA Calendar for 2018
January 22nd 5:30pm Civic Center
February 26th 5:30pm Civic Center
March 19th 5:30pm Civic Center
April 16th 5:30pm Civic Center
May 7th 5:30pm Civic Center Resolution Due 5/11
June 18th 5:30pm Civic Center
July 16th 5:30pm Civic Center
August 20th 5:30pm Civic Center
September 17th 5:30pm Civic Center
October 15th 5:30pm Civic Center
November 19th 5:30pm Civic Center
December 17th 5:30pm Civic Center
The Selah Parks and Recreation Service Area (SPRSA) is a junior taxing district that collects taxes in order to offer a variety of recreation programs for youth and adults in the Selah community. The SPRSA is governed by a 7-member board. Board members are appointed by the City of Selah, the Selah School District and the Yakima County Commissioners.
- Position 1: Rachael Glaspie
- Position 2: Roger Bell
- Position 3: Norma Smith, Vice Chair
- Position 4: Aimee Ozanich, Secretary and Auditing Officer (County Appointed Position)
- December 31, 2019
- Position 5: David Lemmon
- Position 6: Rainan Viernes
- Position 7: Kelliann Ergeson, Chairperson