Yakima County Auditor Logo

Vehicle Licensing Division
128 N 2nd St, Room 117, Yakima, WA 98901
PO Box 12570, Yakima, WA 98909-2570


Jennifer Richter, Licensing Supervisor
Email:  jennifer.richter@co.yakima.wa.us
Phone: (509) 574-1370
Fax: (509) 574-1371
Hours:  9:00 a.m. 4:00 p.m. blinking star

Forms of Payment:  Cash, Check or Money Order 


New Residents

New Vehicles

Out-of-State Vehicles

Personalized Plates


Used Vehicles

Vehicles / Filing Sellers Report (State Site)

Vessels (State Site)


Frequently Asked Questions

Where do I go to get a new driver's license?

Driver's licenses are issued directly by the State of Washington. You can get a new license or renew your license at any of the Driver's Licensing Services Offices.

They are located at:
2010 Yakima Valley Highway
Sunnyside (509) 837-2371
2725 Rudkin Rd
Union Gap (509) 575-2776

How much does it costs to register my vehicle or vessel?

The purchaser of the vehicle pays registration and licensing fees. The fees vary based on the type of vehicle being registered (car, truck, tractor, boat, etc).

Sales Tax:

Sales tax is paid when a vehicle is purchased either from a dealership or a private party. The tax rate used is the same as the rate at the address where the vehicle is registered, unless purchased from a dealer. If purchased from a dealer the tax rate is based on the dealer address.

  • Sales Tax (due whenever a title is transferred to a new owner) City of Yakima 8.2% All other areas of Yakima County - 7.9%
  • All motor vehicle sales and leases have a .003% higher tax rate

Cash, checks, or money orders or credit/debit cards are accepted for payment of licensing fees and taxes.

Where can I obtain the proper vehicle registration forms?

The forms you will need are available at the County Auditor's Office or at any licensing sub-agent. Most forms are also available on the Washinton State Department of Licensing website.  When at the State DOL website, click on the button called "Forms" on the upper right side of the page, in the banner header.

Where is the location of the State Patrol Inspection Facility and Emissions Testing Facility?

Washington State Vehicle Inspection
2715 Rudkin Rd., Union Gap 98903

How can someone obtain a disabled parking permit?

Effective July 26, 1999, all permanent and temporary disabled parking permits may be obtained from the County Auditor's Licensing Division or any Licensing Sub-agent.  Click here for a map and locations.

State Driver's Licensing Services Offices no longer issue permits.

What do I do when I have paid off the loan on my vehicle?

Once you have paid off the loan, your financial institution will do one of two things. They will either release (sign off on) the title and send the title to County Auditor's Licensing Division, or they will send the released title directly to you.

If the financial institution sends the title directly to the County Auditor's Licensing Division, the Auditor's Office will process the change in title and mail you a copy of the new title. If the financial institution sends you the released title, then you must bring in or mail in the title to the County Auditor's Licensing Division to have the new title processed.

If you do not hear anything from the Licensing Division or from your financial institution in a reasonable time, call your financial institution to ensure they are taking steps to release the title to you.

How do I apply for a DOT number?

Apply online: To learn more and apply online visit one of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration websites: www.fmcsa.dot.gov/online-registration or www.safer.fmcsa.dot.gov

Home | Services | Departments | About Yakima County |Employment| Community| Government