How to File a Name Change
Civil Dept: 574-1820
THE INFORMATION CONTAINED HERE IS INTENDED TO ADDRESS FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS. IT IS NOT COMPREHENSIVE AND SHOULD NOT BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE. THOSE IN NEED OF LEGAL ADVICE SHOULD CONSULT AN ATTORNEY.
HOW DO I FILE A NAME CHANGE:
- Review the name change information sheet.
- Complete, in black ink, the appropriate petition and order for either the adult or minor child name.
- FORMS REQUIRED:
- Note: On a name change for a minor child a signature is required from both biological parents. If you are unable to locate the other parent please advise civil dept clerk at the time you are attempting to file and clerk will advise.
- Once completed, return to Civil Dept Rm 225 of the Yakima County Courthouse or our Grandview location, with completed documents and picture identification.
- If you are petitioning on behalf of a minor child you must file a copy of the child’s birth certificate with the court.
- File your paperwork and pay the $125.00 filing fee.
The clerk will then advise you when to come to court. In Yakima, These hearings are only heard on Thursdays @11:00 am. We are limited to only 6 hearings each week so it is a 1st come 1st serve basis.
In Grandview, these hearings are held at 3pm Tuesdays & Thursdays. Only four settings available each session. HEARINGS ARE HELD IN GRANDVIEW AT 3PM TUESDAYS & THURSDAYS. ONLY FOUR SETTINGS AVAILABLE EACH SESSION.FILE NO LATER THAN 4:OOPM TO BE SET FOR THE NEXT AVAILABLE COURT DATE.
- After your court appearance, and if your order is granted, you will receive one certified copy of the signed order of name change. Any additional copies must be obtained at the recording office on the 1st floor.