How to File a Small Claims
Civil Dept: 574-1820
THE INFORMATION CONTAINED HERE IS INTENDED TO ADDRESS FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS. IT IS NOT COMPREHENSIVE AND SHOULD NOT BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE. THOSE IN NEED OF LEGAL ADVICE SHOULD CONSULT AN ATTORNEY.
- Come to Civil Dept, Rm 213 of the Yakima County District Court or our Grandview location.
- Ask for the paperwork to file a Small Claim.
- Review the Small Claims Information Sheet.
- In black ink, complete the Small Claims Mediation and Notice of Hearing.
- The person suing is the Plaintiff. The person being sued is the Defendant.
- Return to the counter in the civil dept with picture identification and the $39.00 filing fee.
- Once you have filed, you will receive two copies of the Small Claims form.
- The yellow copy is yours. Your mediation date and time are listed on the second page.
What’s a mediation?
Mediation is when the Plaintiff and Defendant come together with a trained mediator from the Dispute Resolution Center. The mediator will listen to both sides and try to help both parties reach a resolution. Mediation is mandatory in Yakima County.
- The 2nd copy you receive will be a pink copy with the Small Claims Information Sheet attached. This is the copy you must have served by a 3rd party.
Law enforcement officer
A Process Server
A neutral 3rd party over the age of 18.
All of the above our approriate forms of service.
If a neutral 3rd party serves they must complete the Return of Service form and it must be filed with the court.
If you chose service by certified mail, you must file the green return receipt card with the court.
- Case Cover sheet
- Small Claims Information Sheet
- Small Claims Return of Service
- *The Small Claims Mediation and Notice of Hearing form is not available online