Water Resources Division

Regulatory and Development Information

Yakima County

Critical Areas and Shoreline Management Act
Projects within the floodplain or near rivers and streams are required to get permits from Yakima County Planning Division. This review and permit may relate to Critical Areas regulations or the Shoreline Management Act, depending on the project.

Yakima County Building Official
Permits are required for any project within the floodplain, which may include:
Grading Permit
Flood Hazard Permit
Elevation Permit

Yakima County Codes
Review codes specific to your project especially: Critical Areas and Environment.

Other Agencies - There may also be permits or review required by other agencies.

Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) Projects that disturb the streambed or stream banks must obtain a Hydraulic Project Approval (HPA) permit from the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife. This permit is also known as a JARPA (Joint Aquatic Resource Permit Application).

Washington Department of Ecology

Stormwater Permits - If your construction project disturbs 1 or more acres of land through clearing, grading,
excavating, or stockpiling of fill material and there is any possibility that stormwater could run off your site during construction and into Water Resources Divisions or conveyance systems leading to Water Resources Divisions of the state then a permit is required.

Point Source Pollution Permits A wastewater discharge permit is required for disposal of waste material into "waters of the state," which include rivers, lakes, streams, and all underground waters and aquifers.  A wastewater discharge permit is also required for certain industrial users that discharge industrial waste into sanitary sewer systems. A wastewater permit may be required for facilities that have stormwater runoff to Water Resources Divisions.

These agencies regulate actions that affect species listed under the Endangered Species Act.:

U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
National Marine Fisheries Service
The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE)

Related Links:

Washington State Department of Natural Resources, Washington Digital Geologic Coverage

U.S. Department of Agriculture Natural Resource Conservation Service, Washington Soil Survey Reports

Washington Department of Ecology, Washington Well log Viewer