Auditor Logo

Marriage License
128 N 2nd St, Room 117, Yakima, WA 98901
PO Box 12570, Yakima, WA 98909-2570


Jennifer Richter, Recording Supervisor
Phone: (509) 574-1330
Fax: (509) 574-1371
Hours:  9:00 a.m. 4:00 p.m. blinking star

Birth Records

Death Records


Marriage Records

Passport Services

Recording Documents

Land Records

Veterans' Services



  • The fee for a marriage license is $64.00. (Cash only)
    • A keepsake certificate is available for $5.00 more
    • If a certified copy of your marriage certificate is to be automatically mailed, an additional $4.00 is required
  • Besides the information on the Marriage Application, you will be required to supply the following information:
    • Father's name and birth state or country
    • Mother's maiden name and birth state or country
    • Applicant's social security number if applicable
  • Once a license has been issued, it cannot be "un-issued".  The license fee is not refundable
  • Both applicants must be at least 18 year of age or older
  • One parent or legal guardian who can provide consent must accompany applicants 17 years of age
  • Applicants under the age of 17 must obtain permission from the Juvenile Court before a license can be issued
  • Blood tests and physical exams are not required to obtain a marriage license
  • Proof of divorce from a previous spouse or death of a spouse is not required to obtain a license for a new marriage. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that the final decree of divorce is final before the new marriage license is obtained
  • The marriage license may be used anywhere in the state of Washington

Completing the Application:


  • “Maiden Name” is the last name you were born with, if that is still the current last name put that name in both the last name field and the maiden name field
  • “Single” means never married.  Divorced applicants must mark “Divorced”
  • “Present Address" means residential address, not a post office box
  • If born outside the U.S., please provide city and country, rather than city and state

We offer three ways of completing the application.

1) Fill out application on-line - you must still come in to the office:

  • Both parties must be able to appear together in the Auditor's Office Recording Division
  • Picture identification is required
  • Please fill in all the fields.  If you do not know some of the required information such as parent’s birth state, refer to your birth certificate and if it is not listed there you may fill in "unknown"
  • Proceed to On-line Application

IMPORTANT:  Applying on-line only enters the data into our system; you have NOT actually applied until you both come into our office in person to complete the process.

2) Print out the application, fill it out, bring it into the Recording Division of the Auditor's Office:

  • If both parties cannot appear together at the Auditor's Office, then the application can be signed in front of a Notary Public
  • Please fill in all the fields. If you do not know some of the required information such as parent’s birth state, refer to your birth certificate and if it is not listed there you may fill in "unknown"
  • Bring the completed application into the Auditor's Office Recording Division along with the appropriate fees
  • Print out the ApplicationPDF icon

IMPORTANT:  This application is only to be used when one or both of the applicants is unable to come into our office and the application is being signed and notarized.  Someone still needs to bring it into our office with the correct fees and additional information to complete the application process.

3) Come into the Auditor's Office Recording Division

  • Both parties must be able to appear together in the Auditor's Office Recording Division
  • Picture identification is required
  • Cash only is required for fee

Waiting Period:

There is a three (3) day waiting period beginning the first day after you apply for your license and ending the third day following the date of application.  You may not get married during this waiting period.  (We issue the license and post-date it three days so that you are able to take it with you at the time of purchase.)

The license is valid for 60 days from the date of application. If you do not use the license within this 60-day period, a new license will need to be purchased.


Witnesses are not necessary to apply for a license, but state law requires that at least two witnesses be present at the ceremony. There is no minimum or maximum age for witnesses, but it is recommended that witnesses be fully aware of their responsibilities in the marriage ceremony.

Performing the Ceremony:

State law prescribes who can perform a marriage ceremony: active and retired Justices of the Washington Supreme Court, Court of Appeals Judges, Superior Court Judges, Superior Court Commissioners, District Court Judges, minicipal court judges, supreme court commissioners, and court of appeals commissioners. In addition, regularly licensed or ordained ministers or priests of any church or religious denominations may perform marriage ceremonies.

Ministers from any state may perform marriage ceremonies, but the ceremony must be performed in the state of Washington. Neither applicant may perform the ceremony.

For information about scheduling a District Court Judge to perform the ceremony, please call the District Court Office at (509) 574-1779, during regular business hours.

Public Disclosure:

All marriage records are a matter of public record. The one exception to this is for those enrolled in the State's Address Confidentiality program.

Copies of Marriage Certificates:

A copy or certified copy of a marriage license may be obtained by writing to the Yakima County Auditor's Recording Division, PO Box 12570, Yakima, WA 98909-2570.  Include a check or money order for $1.00 for a copy, or $3.00 for a certified copy.  Be sure to include the applicants names and the date of marriage.