2403 South 18th St. Suite 200, Union Gap, WA 98903 - Phone: (509) 574-1900
Preparing For Disasters
The next time disaster strikes, you may not have much time to act. Prepare now
for a sudden emergency.
Learn how to protect yourself and cope with disaster by planning ahead.
This page will help you get started. Discuss the ideas below with your family,
then prepare an emergency plan. Post the plan where everyone will see it--on
the refrigerator or bulletin board.
- Find out how to prepare for the disasters that could occur in Yakima County
Create an Emergency Plan
- Meet with household members to discuss the dangers of fire, severe weather, and other emergencies. Explain how to respond to each.
- Find the safe spots in your home for each type of disaster.
- Discuss what to do about power outages and personal injuries.
- Draw a floor plan of your home. Mark two escape routes from each room.
- Show family members how to shut off water, gas, and electricity at main switches when necessary.
- Post emergency telephone numbers near telephones.
- Teach children how and when to call 911, police, and fire.
- Instruct household members to turn on the radio for emergency information.
- Pick one out-of-state and one local friend or relative for family members to call if separated during a disaster (it is often easier to call out-of-state than within the affected area).
- Teach children your out-of-state contact's phone number.
- Pick two emergency meeting places:
- A place near your home in case of a fire.
- A place outside your neighborhood in case you cannot return home after a disaster.
- Take a basic first aid and CPR class.
- Keep family records in a water and fire-proof container.
- Discuss safety Procedures when returning home
- Don't Forget about your pets
Prepare a Disaster Supplies Kit
Assemble supplies you might need in an evacuation. Store them in an easy-to-carry container such as a backpack or duffle bag.
Click for help on preparing a Disaster Supplies
GRANDVIEW, GRANGER, HARRAH, MABTON, MOXEE, NACHES, SELAH, SUNNYSIDE,
TIETON, TOPPENISH, UNION GAP, WAPATO, YAKIMA, YAKIMA COUNTY, ZILLAH
Questions? Concerns? Suggestions?
If you have any information regarding this site let us know at