2403 South 18th St. Suite 200, Union Gap, WA 98903 - Phone: (509) 574-1900
Turning Off The Utilities
When disaster strikes it often affects one of more of the utility
systems in our homes. Therefore, it is important to know where
the main controls are located and to know when and how to turn
them off. It is best to learn these things before disaster strikes.
Here are a few helpful pointers.
- Locate your gas meter valve and learn to turn off the gas.
- If you suspect the shutoff valve is not working properly,
call the utility company for an operational check.
- Ensure a wrench is immediately available for turning the meter
off in an emergency.
- If you smell natural gas, evacuate immediately. Do not use
matches, lighter, open flame appliances or operate electrical
switches. Sparks could ignite gas causing an explosion.
- Shut off the gas ONLY if you smell gas or hear a hissing
noise. Let the gas company turn the gas back on.
- Seek the assistance of a plumber to repair gas pipe damage.
- Locate your main electrical switch or fuse panel and learn
how to turn the electrical system power off.
- If a generator is used as a backup power supply remember to:
- Follow the manufacturer's instructions.
- Connect lights and appliances directly to the generator and
not the electrical system.
- Generators connected to a utility company's electrical system
must be inspected by the utility and the state electrical inspector.
- Clearly label the water shut off valve and learn to turn off
the water supply.
- Ensure valve can be fully turned off. If a special tool is
needed, make sure one is readily available.
- Shut off the main valve to prevent contamination of the water
suply in your water heater and plumbing.
- Your sewer system could be damaged in a disaster such as an
earthquake, landslide or flood. Make sure the system is functioning
as designed before using it. This will prevent the contamination
of your home and possibly the drinking water supply.
- Have a bucket or portable toilet available for disposing of
human waste. Plastic bags placed in the toilet bowl will also
GRANDVIEW, GRANGER, HARRAH, MABTON, MOXEE, NACHES, SELAH, SUNNYSIDE,
TIETON, TOPPENISH, UNION GAP, WAPATO, YAKIMA, YAKIMA COUNTY, ZILLAH
Questions? Concerns? Suggestions?
If you have any information regarding this site let us know at