Assisting Incorporated communities, County Planning, Building and Fire Safety, and Yakima Valley Emergency Management with short and long range strategies for flood hazard awareness to decrease public flood risk. This includes an increased understanding of the safety regulations related to floodplains and floodways, and increasing the tools and information about what to do before, during and after flood emergencies.
Current work includes:
- Support the public and jurisdictions in understanding the new countywide flood maps and options regarding map adoption, map usage and flood insurance ramifications.
- Public outreach in conjunction with projects, such as Emma lane and Shaw Creek-Wide Hollow areas
- Public outreach in conjunction with flood plans, such as the Ahtanum-Wide Hollow CFHMP
- Update the Water Resources Division and FCZD web pages to provide relevant flood information including links to the preliminary flood map panels
- Placed FEMA flood documents at Yakima Valley Regional Library for public review and distribution
- Provide relevant brochures