- Yakima Health District is hiring
Food Handler Test Hours
Monday - Friday:
8:30am to 11:00am & 1:30pm to 3:30pm
Special Extended Testing Hours:
1st Tuesday of every month - 1:30pm to 6:00pm
The testing process takes 45 minutes to 1 hour. (30 minute video & 35 multiple choice questions)
- Program Overview
- Flood Affected Well Information
- Drinking Water Testing
- Drinking Water Program Forms
- Other Resources
- Well site inspections for Group B water systems
- Assistance to the public in submitting applications for approval of new/existing water systems
- Group B public water systems
- Sanitary survey inspections of public water systems in Yakima County
- Assistance with questions regarding water quality
Flood Affected Well Information
During periods of heavier than normal rainfall or excessive snowmelt, flooding can occur in Yakima County. Flooding may affect the water quality of wells due to contamination by floodwaters or runoff. Watch for changes in your water, such as changes in color or taste of the water. If you wellhead is in standing water, you should be especially aware.
If you notice any changes in your water, you should discontinue use of the water for drinking, cooking, bathing, brushing of teeth, or washing of dishes. You may continue to use the water to flush the toilet. Find a safe alternative source of water such as bottled water. Under extreme circumstances, when no other source is available, you can treat the water by bringing it to a rolling boil and keeping it there for a minimum of 10 minutes.
To disinfect a well, you can follow the Chlorination Procedures for Flood Affected Wells. However, if you must treat contaminated water for the purpose of drinking, boiling the water is the only acceptable method of disinfection.
Within the Yakima Valley, there are three locations where residents can take samples of their drinking water for water quality testing. The samples must be taken to the lab directly; the Yakima Health District does not have testing facilities or testing supplies (e.g., bottles, kits, etc.).
Cascade Analytical, Inc.
1008 W. Ahtanum
Yakima, WA 98903
Valley Environmental Laboratory
201 E. “D” St.
Yakima, WA 98901
Ag Health Laboratories
445 Barnard Blvd
Sunnyside, WA 98944
- Public Water Supply System Assistance Application
- Fill out this form to apply for a public water system
- 2-Party (Shared) Well Approval Guidance
- In order for the Yakima Health District to approve a well as a 2-Party well (also known as a shared well), the following items need to be done and/or submitted
- Mortgage Review Application
- Fill out this form to start the mortgage review process
- Mortgage Review Process/Instructions
- Outlines the process of completing a mortgage review
- Mortgage Review Property Owners Statement
- Property owners fill out this form to certify that their septic system is properly functioning
- Mortgage Review Checklist
- Outlines the steps of a mortgage review
- Chlorination Instructions for Flood Affected Wells