CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR UPCOMING WEDDING!
On behalf of the Yakima County Auditor’s Office, we would like to congratulate you on your upcoming marriage!
Here are a few important things you will need to know before you get started:
- At the time the marriage license is issued, there is a 3-day waiting period BEFORE you can get married
(Example: If we issue the license on Wednesday, you can get married the following Saturday)
- You have up to 60 days to get married after the 3-day waiting period is over
- The marriage license is only valid in Washington State
(it will not be valid if the ceremony takes place in any other state)
- Both parties must be present in our office by 4 pm to complete the application process (if either or both parties cannot be present, please see option 3 on our Applying for the License page).
- Valid government-issued photo ID is required when you come in to apply
- The Marriage License starts at $72
- Additional fee for using credit card or debit card
- A keepsake certificate printed on acid-free paper with a colored background is available for $5 more
- A certified copy of your marriage certificate may be automatically mailed for an additional $4.
- In office: cash, signed money order, cashier's check or debit/credit card
(convenience fee will apply for credit or debit card use)
- By mail: signed money order or cashier's check
- Sorry, no personal checks are accepted
Marriages are Public Record
All marriage records are a matter of public record and once it has been recorded, it cannot be "unrecorded." (Exception: only for those enrolled in the State's Address Confidentiality program). The local newspaper generally publishes applicants’ name and city of residence.