Child Custody - Non-Parental

Non-parental custody proceedings may be started by a 3rd party (non-parent) who can prove that the child does not reside with either parent or that neither parent is a suitable custodian.

You will have to complete a Washington State Patrol criminal history background check as well as a CPS background check on yourself and any other adults living in your household. If the child is enrolled or eligible for enrollment in a Native American Indian tribe or band, you will be required to serve the tribe or band. The Court Facilitator must assist you with the CPS background check and can also assist you with the Washington State Patrol criminal history check.

The Clerk's staff cannot assist you or give legal advice. It is advisable you contact an attorney to assist you.