Filing for a Name Change
- Filing fee for a name change is $196.50. This pays for the filing and recording fees and provides you with 1 certified copy of the signed name change order.
- All filing fees are non-refundable.
- Credit Card
- Money Order
- Review the name change information sheet.
- Complete, in black ink, the appropriate petition and order for either the adult or minor child name.
- If you are petitioning on behalf of a minor child you must file a copy of the child’s birth certificate with the court.
- Once completed, return to Civil Dept Room 225 of the Yakima County Courthouse or our Grandview location, with completed documents and picture identification.
- File your paperwork and pay the filing fee.
- Name Change Information Sheet (PDF) - English
- Name Change Information Sheet (PDF) - Spanish
- Petition for Change of Name:
- Order Changing Name:
Petitions for a name change for a minor child requires a signature from both biological parents. If you are unable to locate the other parent please advise civil department clerk at the time you are attempting to file.
The civil clerk will advise you of when your court hearing is scheduled. In Yakima, these hearings are only heard on Thursdays at 11:00 a.m. We are limited to only 6 hearings each week so it is a first come first served basis.
In Grandview, name changes are held on even Mondays at 9:00 a.m. We are limited to only 4 settings per court session. At the time of filing, the clerk will inform you of when your court hearing is scheduled.
If your petition is granted, you will receive one certified copy of the signed order of name change. Any additional copies of the name change order must be obtained at the Auditors Office on the first floor. The court will file the original with the Auditor’s Office for recording purposes. Please be advised that the petitioner is responsible for notifying the Health Department, Department of Licensing or any other agencies or governmental entities of the name change. The court does not do that for you.