Minor Guardianship RCW 11.130
THIS WEB PAGE IS CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION. WE APPRECIATE YOUR PATIENCE, AND WILL UPDATE INFORMATION AS SOON AS WE CAN.
Under RCW 11.130, the Court can appoint a guardian for a minor who does not have a guardian under the following circumstances:
Appointing a guardian is in the best interest of a minor, and one of the following items must also be true:
- Each parent of the minor agrees after being informed about what a guardianship means; or
- All parental rights have been terminated; or
- There is clear and convincing evidence that no parent of the minor is willing or able to exercise parenting functions as defined in RCW 26.09.004.
Minor Guardianship Book and Instructions
The Court Facilitator has prepared an informative Minor Guardianship book complete with blank forms and instructions on the filing process. You can purchase a book in the Yakima County Clerk's Office, Room 323 of the courthouse. The cost of the book is $50. The Clerk is open Monday- Friday from 8:30-4:00 pm, and you must pay for your book with cash.
If you need assistance in completing the book, you may schedule an appointment with the Facilitator by calling 509-574-2695.
- Do I need an attorney?
- What is the basis of non-parental custody?
- Will the court check my background?
- Will the judge speak with the children?
- Do I have to notify both parents about my request for custody?
- What if I cannot find one or both of the parents?
- What if I don’t know the father’s name or address?
- Can I get an emergency custody order?
- How long does it take to obtain permanent custody?
- Do I have to go to court?