Legal Separation

If you are married and would like to request relief from the court without filing for divorce, you may file for a legal separation instead. This may be a good option if you are considering reconciliation with your spouse. However, you do not have to file for a legal separation before filing for divorce. The legal separation process may make your divorce take longer.

Filing for Separation
A legal separation can be filed in Superior Court. The filing fee is $314. You may purchase a “Divorce Book” and a single form called “Petition for Legal Separation” in Room 323 of the Courthouse. The book is $50 and the form is $4.50. The book contains all the forms, samples and instructions necessary to start and finalize your separation.

If you need assistance in completing the book, you may contact the Facilitator by calling 509-574-2695.