Household & Small Business Hazardous Waste

Narrow image hazardous waste bins
Homeowners and small businesses in Yakima County can bring their hazardous waste to the Household and Small Business Waste Facility free of charge. Businesses are required to schedule an appointment (509-574-2450 or 509-574-2472). Agricultural waste will not be accepted at this facility.


You can identify whether a product is considered hazardous by reading the label. Any product labeled with the following is considered hazardous:

  • Caution
  • Combustible
  • Corrosive
  • Danger
  • Explosive
  • Flammable
  • Poisonous
  • Reactive
  • Toxic
  • Warning

Accepted Materials:

  • Antifreeze
  • Auto Battery
  • Brake Fluid
  • De-greaser
  • Disinfectant
  • Engine Cleaner
  • Fluorescent bulbs (tubes or CFL's)
  • Fungicide
  • Furniture Stripper
  • Herbicide
  • Household Battery
  • Paint
  • Paint Thinner
  • Pesticide
  • Pool Chemical
  • Solvent
  • Transmission Fluid
  • Turpentine
  • Used Motor Oil
Is your business a Small Quantity Generator Are you a Small Quantity Generator (SQG)?  If your business generates in one month (or batch) fewer than 220 lbs. of hazardous waste, you qualify as a Small Quantity Generator.

As a SQG, you must meet U.S. Department of Transportation labeling requirements when transporting hazardous waste as well as keep records and document that all waste has been properly disposed.

SQG’s can accumulate up to 2,200 pounds of dangerous waste, or 2.2 pounds of certain pesticides or poisons at their site before sending waste off-site for proper disposal or recycling.

There is no fee for our service, however businesses are required to make an appointment prior to bringing waste to our facility. Contact 509-574-2450 to schedule an appointment.

Important Documents