Yakima County WA Homepage

Reductions, Exemptions & Deferrals

If your property is damaged or destroyed, you may be eligible for a reduced assessed value for taxes payable in the following year. Destroyed Property forms are available from the Department of Property Assessments.

If you have agricultural, open space, or timberland, you may apply for classification under the Current Use/ Open Space program. A current use assessment generally - means a reduced assessed value on land value for the duration of the classification. Please be advised, there are additional tax, penalties, and interest charges for removal from this classification. Contact the Assessor's Office for information and application forms. The application must be made by December 31 for classification in the following assessment year.

If you improve your single-family residence by remodeling or adding new rooms, you may apply for a 3-year exemption from taxes on the value of the physical improvements. Physical improvements do not include normal maintenance items. An application for the exemption must be filed with the Assessor prior to completion of the project.

Senior Citizen/Disabled Persons Exemption Program
If you are a senior citizen or disabled person you may qualify for property tax relief. To be eligible for the Property Tax Exemption program, you must:
  • Be age 61 or older on December 31 of the year the claim is filed
  • Be retired from regular gainful employment because of a disability
  • Be the owner and occupant of a single-family dwelling, mobile home, or 1 unit in multi-unit or cooperative housing
  • Have a combined disposable income of $35,000 or less for the year the application is filed (including income of spouse and/or co-tenant)
Your household income determines the amount of exemption from regular property taxes or excess levies.

Senior citizens and disabled persons who apply for qualification for this property tax exemption program, must provide verification and proof of income to the Assessor's Office.

Property Tax Deferral Program
If you are a senior citizen at least 60 years of age, or a person retired because of disabilities and have qualified for a senior/disabled exemption and your income is below $40,000, you may defer property taxes and special assessments to a total amount equal to 80% of the equity in your home. Unlike the senior citizens and disabled persons exemption program, deferred taxes are a lien on the property. This lien becomes payable, together with interest, upon sale or transfer of the property.

Other Exemptions
Your family automobile, household goods, personal effects, and home furnishings are not subject to property tax. However, personal property tax may be due if these items are used in a business. Churches, government units, and many nonprofit agencies do not pay property tax when the property is used for a tax-exempt purpose. The Department of Revenue determines which properties are entitled to the exemption based on laws enacted by the Legislature.
Government Websites by CivicPlus®
Arrow Left Arrow Right
Slideshow Left Arrow Slideshow Right Arrow