Yakima County WA Homepage
Why does Yakima County need a stormwater utility?

The United States EPA issued new stormwater regulations in 1999 that require communities the size of Yakima, Union Gap, Selah, Sunnyside, and urban Yakima County to control water pollution from stormwater runoff. These Phase II communities are required to implement municipal stormwater programs that will reduce stormwater pollution discharges. Washington State Department of Ecology, that administers the NPDES program in Washington, issued the Eastern Washington Phase II Municipal Stormwater Permit on February 16, 2007. The permit requires communities that meet certain criteria to perform 6 control measures, comply with any TMDL processes and monitor the effectiveness of their program. This is known as the “6+2” requirement.

Show All Answers

1. What is stormwater and why is it a problem?
2. What kinds of pollutants are found in stormwater?
3. Are sewers and storm drains the same thing?
4. What can you put down the storm drain?
5. What can residents do to help improve stormwater quality?
6. What is the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) Stormwater Program?
7. What kinds of stormwater discharges are required to have NPDES stormwater permit coverage?
8. What is a Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4)?
9. Which MS4s are regulated by the Eastern Washington Phase II Municipal Stormwater Permit?
10. What happens if Yakima County does not comply with its NPDES stormwater discharge permit?
11. What is the stormwater utility?
12. Why does Yakima County need a stormwater utility?
13. What is the stormwater fee used for?
14. How will the stormwater management program benefit taxpayers, homeowners, etc.?
15. How are the regional stormwater utility service areas determined?
16. How is the stormwater fee calculated?
17. What is an impervious surface?
18. Is the utility fee just another tax?
19. No water runs off my property. Why am I being charged a stormwater fee?
20. What is meant by a "larger common plan of development or sale?"
Government Websites by CivicPlus®
Arrow Left Arrow Right
Slideshow Left Arrow Slideshow Right Arrow