A few simple actions can protect against mosquito bites. · Use an effective, EPA-registered insect repellent.
· Cover up - wear long sleeves, long pants, and socks when outdoors.
· Avoid mosquito prime time. Many mosquitoes bite in the evening between dusk and dawn.
· Eliminate mosquito-breeding areas around your home by emptying standing water from flowerpots, gutters, buckets, pool covers, pet water dishes, discarded tires, and birdbaths on a regular basis.
· Ensure that screen doors and windows fit tightly. Repair or replace screens that have tears or holes.
· Vaccinate any horses you own or care for against West Nile Virus.
· Bug zappers, sonic devices, and mosquito traps have not been shown to reduce the risk of West Nile Virus infection.