Current situation in Washington (WA)
• A cluster of suspected acute flaccid myelitis (AFM) has been reported among Washington residents.
• As of October 9th, five WA cases are being evaluated by CDC neurologists and other AFM experts.
• All cases are among children between 7 months and 5 years of age who presented with acute paralysis of one or more limbs. All had a prodrome that included respiratory symptoms in the week prior to presentation with symptoms of AFM. Four of the five had fever of 100.4 F or greater.
• The earliest onset of limb weakness was on August 28, 2018 and the most recent on October 5th.
• The cases are residents of King County (2), Pierce County (1), Lewis County (1), and Snohomish County (1).
For more information, please read the full, Health Advisory