Traffic Ticket

When you receive a traffic ticket you have the following options:

PAY THE TICKET: Pay in full within 30 days of the date of violation. You may pay in person at either of the courts locations, in Grandview or Yakima, by mail with a check or money order, or online at

REQUEST MONTHLY PAYMENTS: If you are unable to pay your ticket in full, we offer a monthly payment program.  To submit an application on line click here. You can also visit any court location and request a Time Payment Plan form.  Or send an email to

REQUESTING A HEARING: You may request a hearing to contest or mitigate your infraction(s) by marking the appropriate box on your ticket and mailing it to us or dropping it off at either our Yakima or Grandview offices within 30 days of the date of violation.  You may also request a hearing online by clicking this link

MITIGATION HEARING: A mitigation hearing gives you the chance to explain the circumstances of committing the infraction. If this option is chosen the fine amount may be reduced. If this is a traffic infraction, it will appear on your driving record. The outcome of a mitigation hearing may not be appealed.

CONTESTED HEARING: A contested hearing will determine whether you committed the infraction. If the infraction is found committed you will owe the amount on the face of the ticket; if it is dismissed no fine will be assessed. You may subpoena the officer to appear at a contested hearing at least 15 court days prior to the scheduled hearing. You have the responsibility of serving the officer with the subpoena and filing a return of service with the Court by the date of the hearing. The outcome of a contested hearing may be appealed.

DEFERRAL HEARING: A deferral hearing would determine whether you meet the criteria to have an infraction deferred. If an infraction is deferred, a $150 administrative fee will be assessed, and if you do not commit any new traffic violations during a one-year deferral period, the infraction will be dismissed and will not appear on your driving record. You may elect to defer a traffic infraction as long as you do not have a Commercial Driver's License and/or you have not deferred an infraction in the last 7 years.

If upon review, you have not complied with the terms of the deferral, the infraction will be found committed, and the full penalty on the face of the ticket, in addition to the $150 administrative fee will be owed. The Court may also assess additional penalties for failure to pay or appear and will notify the Department of Licensing. 

INFRACTION DISMISSAL PROGRAM: you can request to participate in the Infraction Dismissal Program which is managed by Probation Services. Upon successful completion of a traffic safety class, the infractions(s) are dismissed. There are some charges that are excluded from this program. If you are charged with No Valid Operators License w/ID and/or No Valid Insurance, those charges will not be dismissed upon successful completion of the traffic safety class. Additionally, you are only allowed to participate one time. To determine your eligibility for this program please contact Vita Alvarez at 509-574-1892 or

PLEASE NOTE: It is vital that the Court have your current contact information. This includes a current phone number, mailing address and email. It is your responsibility to update your contact information with the court. If the address on your ticket is incorrect please call 509-574-1804 to update. Also please notify the DOL if your current address is different than the address on your Driver's License.