Yakima County WA Public Services Homepage

Stormwater Utilities

Stormwater utilities in each community provide revenue to pay for operation and maintenance of stormwater infrastructure and permit compliance for stormwater discharge.

Most utilities nationwide assess fees to properties based on proportional benefit. Stormwater runoff is related to the amount of impervious surface that prevents water infiltration. A billing unit called an Equivalent Residential Unit (ERU) represents the average impervious surface on urban residential units. Generally 1 residential lot is assessed 1 ERU. Other land uses (commercial, industrial, agricultural) are assessed based on the ERU. The size of 1 ERU (square feet of impervious surface) and method of distributing ERUs to other land use types varies by municipality.

Yakima County

Yakima County adopted Ordinance 11-2007 (PDF) forming a stormwater utility and establishing rates in December of 2007. One ERU is set at 3,600 square feet and the current utility rate is $29.50 per ERU. All residential parcels are assigned 1 ERU. Commercial parcels are assigned ERUs by dividing the actual impervious surface by 3600. ERUs for agricultural parcels in the urban area are assigned by parcel size. The utility service area (PDF) is shown on a map. For more information, please see the Stormwater Utility Rate FAQ's (PDF).

City of Selah

The City of Selah has not yet established a stormwater utility.

City of Sunnyside

The City of Sunnyside adopted a stormwater utility ordinance in January of 2008. Ordinance 2207 (PDF) changing the structure of the billing system was passed on December 8, 2008. Ordinance 2010 - 05 (PDF) setting the utility fee rate was passed on March 8, 2010.

City of Union Gap

The City of Union Gap has not yet established a stormwater utility.
Government Websites by CivicPlus®
Arrow Left Arrow Right
Slideshow Left Arrow Slideshow Right Arrow