Exempt from Permit
1. Residential Accessory Structure:
To be exempt, the proposed structure shall meet ALL of the following criteria.
Shall be on the same lot with a Group R-3 Occupancy (existing house) except for portable animal shelter.
Non-habitable, (shall not be used, or intended to be used, for living, sleeping, or cooking).
Shall be used as a tool and storage shed, playhouse, pump house, or woodshed. (Lawn mowers, garden tillers, and other small motorized lawn and garden care equipment may be stored).
The Structure may be used as a portable animal shelter (maximum size is 360 square feet)
Total number of exempt residential accessory structures on any one lot shall not exceed 2 structures.
The building area exterior wall measurement, does not exceed 200 square feet, maximum 24" eave overhang, and maximum 10' wall height. additional residential accessory structures may be built by obtaining permits for them.
Maximum One-story high, no loft storage.
Shall be detached - 6 feet from all other structures.
Shall NOT be heated, nor equipped with any plumbing system, or mechanical system, may include plumbing equipment for use as a well pump house.
Shall NOT have a basement or crawl space that provides greater than 18 inches clearance below floor joists to the lowest part of the basement or crawlspace.
Shall NOT be located in a flood plain or floodway mapped by FEMA.
Shall NOT be located in an area designated as a “critical area” or “shoreline area” by state or local regulation.
The structure SHALL NOT be used as (but not limited to) a
~ Storage of automobiles.
~ Motor homes, recreational vehicles or similar motorized vehicles.
~ Tractor, farm equipment, agricultural products.
NOT used, OR intended to be used, as a place of business,
The structure is NOT used for storage of hazardous materials in excess of the amounts listed in the Fire Code. (Maximum allowable quantity per control area of hazardous materials posing a physical hazard, and maximum allowable quantity per control area of hazardous materials posing a health hazard).
The combined total of residential accessory structures on any one lot shall not exceed 2 structures - each 200 square foot maximum.
Structures that do not meet the above parameters and conditions are not exempt from the permitting requirements of R105 and it is required that permits must be obtained prior to commencing construction.
2. Fences not over 7 feet high. (May require Land use approval based on Zoining)
3. Retaining walls which are not over 4 feet in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge.
4. Water tanks supported directly upon grade if the capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallons and the ratio of height to diameter or width does not exceed 2 to 1.
5. Sidewalks, platforms, decks without roof covers, rafters only are permitted (i.e. pergola), ramps and driveways not more than 30 inches above adjacent grade at any point.
6. Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops, and similar finish work.
7. Prefabricated swimming pools that are less than 24 inches deep.
8. Swings and other playground equipment accessory to detached one- and two-family dwellings.
9. Window awnings supported by an exterior wall which do not project more than 54 inches from the exterior wall and do not require additional support.
10. Replace or repair of siding that is not required to be fire resistive, except for homes and multi-family housing located in wildfire hazard areas requiring a fire resistive roof.
11. Retrofitted insulation where no structural alterations are required.
12. Door and window replacement where no structural member is changed and the replacement does not involve a egress bedroom window (safety glazing may be required in windows that had not previously been tempered).